June 6, 2013

Miss SVG 2013: Reflections of a Commentator


This year marks 10 years since I have been going to the Miss SVG pageant. I remember in 2002 when Laferne Fraser was crowned Miss SVG and went on to win Miss CARIVAL. I have always enjoyed the show because of the humorous moments that are provided but ultimately I wanted to see which girl would go on to represent St. Vincent and the Grenadines. This year I was asked to do commentary for one of the top radio stations in SVG, We Fm. So sitting in the media booth, I had a bird’s eye view of the pageant and looked forward to what I would see. 

2 comments:

  1. You see the thing with these blogs; is that they give any ordinary individual an outlet to voice their opinion about something, they obviously don't have a clue about. Mr. Commentator, you are indeed entitled to your own opinion but I must SAVE you from continuing to make any further WRONG statements. I will like to make a correction to your "Blog" where you mentioned the Arabesque Dance Co. (ADC)- "Not group" danced all overseas based songs. WRONG. Had you done your research, you would have known that the song "Little Wine" sang by a regional artiste, was indeed WRITTEN and PRODUCED by Mr. Shertz "Problem Child" James and Mr. Ramon "Fryktion" McDowald, respectively. Both talented VINCENTIANS. That in itself speaks volumes and is a true reflection of OUR Culture. This truly highlights a promising future as we see our producers, writers, singers etc are indeed taking their talents to new heights and the ADC stands in support of that. So Mr. Maloney I say stick to commentating and leave the rest to the professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Miss Hope. Please note that first of all in the official CDC programme your group is listed as the 'Arabesque Dance Group' and not Company. My apologies on not writing your correct name after being misled. I like your point that the song 'Little Wine' sung by Ms. Patrice Roberts was produced by 2 talented Vincentians. You however acknowledged the fact that this song was not done for by a Vincentian but a Trinidadian and that it's intended market was not St. Vincent. While I applaud your company's use of this song, it still does not negate the fact that no local song was used and that is the point!

    ReplyDelete